Sunday 10 August 2008

An eventful day...

Well on another subject, I've had quite an eventful day.

Even though it was awkward something good came out of meeting with my mum; my dad died when I was a baby and my mum was just 6 weeks pregnant with my brother. It was a horrible accident at work, and he was only very young - early twenties I think.

Anyway, for reasons I will probably never know, my mums side of the family and my dads side of the family lost contact after his death - I don't think it was deliberate, maybe a gradual thing, but I was so young I can't remember and even if I did I probably wouldn't have got it. I have thought about my dad alot over the years, and tried on and off to find my relatives on the internet - never very seriously though as I didn't have a clue where to start. My mum really doesn't like to talk about the whole thing and always changes the subject (fair or not? I don't know, maybe not). So it has been on my mind alot recently, and when we met up I took the opportunity to push the topic a bit with her - she eventually told me the name of one of my cousins she could remember.

To cut a long story short, I came home that evening (the same evening that I had a migraine) now, I always act really weird when a migraine comes on - almost like I have had a drink -I'm just not with it. So I got in and sent a blanket email to everyone on facebook with the same name as my cousin (I didn't really have much hope - I just thought I might as well) I got a few emails back from various people - 'sorry we are not who you are looking for', but then late last night I read my emails again and I had a reply from what I managed to confirm was my cousin!

We sent a few emails back and forth, giving a little information about each other - it was really nice! I was really nervous about it though, and thought it might be nice to keep emailing and writing while I'm in Norway, and then by the time I come back both parties may be ready to meet. However, my cousin was so friendly and welcoming, and after a few emails we have arranged to meet for a coffee tomorrow! I am not even that nervous as she came across as such a nice person, so I'm really looking forward to meeting her. I told her I couldn't remember my dad, and that I had no photos whatsoever, so she sent a picture to my phone of my dad holding me as a baby - it was so amazing it made me cry! my nan is still alive to which is amazing, as my mum said she thought she was dead (nice!) and I also have 3 uncles, aunts, lots of cousins and second cousins too I think - the cousin I am meeting tomorrow has a really gorgeous 10 month old baby aswell, so I'm really looking forward to meting her, and over the next few months try and make contact with my close family who I haven't seen for almost 25 years!

I have told Rob aswell, and he was really excited too - I think we have both always had something missing out of our lives as far as our dad is concerned. We have a step-father and 5 half brothers and sisters who we both love as much as each other - but still, it's nice to know that my dad, who's life was cut so horribly short, still has a family who (although it is difficult to comprehend right now) are directly blood related to us - our family too.

I'll have to keep updated with this too, I will take it slowly and see how it goes, but it has made me feel really happy already. I am very grateful for how forthcoming and sweet my cousin has been. Thank you!

xxx

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Thats fantastic news Becky :)Hope all goes well tomorrow.

Lorna Simpson said...

Think it's been an emotional day for all of us. I hope it goes well tomorrow Bek, will be thinking of you x x x

Unknown said...

Thank you both :-)
xxx