Monday 10 November 2008

Lastest project - book design

Just thought I would post a bit about my latest project - bok design (book design - not a hard Norwegian phrase even for me!)

The basic task was to go out and find a book, and re-design it. It's actually pretty fun, I love this kind of stuff - but we don't have very long to do it! I found an old book (almost as old as me!) calle økologisk design (ecological gardening) and this is the one I have decided to re-do!


As you can see (it is kind of 'quaint' and has a quality to it) but it is also very outdated (and as my friend put it - it looks like a childrens book) I haven't started on the inside yet - although I have plans! but here is what I have done so far for the cover;

Redesign of the book title - I decided that it would suit the theme of the book to actually make the title out of soil! It turned out good, although I don't have the best camera in the world! It took a whole night (with the aid of online TV and a glass of wine) to make the stencil and glue all the soil into the letters - but it was worth it - I am happy with the way it turned out. You can click on the picture to see it in more detail;


The plan for the front of the book is to have it very simple - the title and a simple image only. After loads of sketches I decided on the idea of having a little sapling and some roots (with natural and earthy colours) and then on the back of the book the sapling will have grown to a full size plant (symbolising that this book will have you growing your own garden by the end of it)

FRONT COVER

BACK COVER

So there is still alot to do, but this is where I am at so far (and why I have been so quiet)

On a ultra cheerful endnote - Hans booked his flight today! (WOOHOO) He is arriving in Bergen on 18th December. That is a day earlier than expected so he has cut my countdown down by a day :) So today it is 39 days instead of 40 until we are together again. I really can't wait - we have been invited to go and visit Maria and her family (in fact she said they would come and kidnap us if we didn't go!) so I really can't wait for that weekend - it will be amazing. I will finally be able to be 100% happy being with friends in beautiful places, but with Hans.

xx

3 comments:

Hannah said...

The book is looking really good Bek.
I really like the lettering :)xx

Anonymous said...

Hi all. How are you?

Anonymous said...

Delete shis text plz. Sorry