Sunday 28 September 2008

Learning Norwegian! how it all began...

Note: I found this unfinished post from when I first started the blog - about why I started learning Norwegian and how I went about it. I have just updated and finished it, and will post this today as I am still busy working and sad about Junior still...

I had wanted for the last few years to take up a learning a language, I thought maybe about German as that's what I studied longest as school - I guess that's as good a reason as any!
Then when Hans and I had been together a few months I mentioned to him that I would like to learn Norwegian; the main reason being there was a reason for it, if you know what I mean! It became especially important as we both realised that this relationship was meant to be and that we are in it for the long haul; I would most certainly be meeting his family and there was a possibility of him moving back home at some point, etc... it just made sense for me to learn it! (I have to admit I also thought I would have it easy with a live-in tutor, but it didn't quite work out like that)
So it began, with me learning the Norwegian Alphabet and 1-10! I found it fascinating instantly - especially with the extra letters; æ, ø and å! I remember not having a clue where to start with it as I had decided to teach myself (try finding a Norwegian course in Derby) so I just began by really bugging Hans to tell me stuff and writing everything down in a book. I will always remember him teaching me the alphabet, and then we went together to take the recycling and as we walked I was just repeating the letters over and over! I tried to completely ignore 'R' as it was very rolled and a completely different way of using my tongue than I was used to (Note added later - I have since discovered that there are a billion and one ways to pronounce the 'r' in Norway depending on the dialect, well actually there are a billion and one ways to say everything in Norwegian depending on the dialect) but Hans was very firm and kept making me say the R - I dont have a problem with it now, for some reason the letter I have most trouble with is 'O'.

I will also always remember the first time we came to visit his family in Norway, and we were waiting at Heathrow for the flight to board and I was hounding Hans 'can we go for a coffee please just one coffee I haven't had a coffee all day I am starting to get a headache COFFEE COFFEE COFFEE please please I'll buy them I'll buy you one too dont you want one I really want one I have a sore throat coffee helps me when I am waiting c'mon sweety lets go for a coffee...' aww poor guy :-) Anyway, we were sitting there and he was teaching my to say 'jeg bor i England' (I live in England) and I just couldn't say England right - I can't even descrbe the differences in the word which are pretty subtle but so important. I think it's probably one of the best words to hear to giive you an idea of pronunciantion. Anyway this was 2 years ago and following this event I have only just realised the England is spelt the same (I thought it was spelled Englond) That right there is the danger of teaching yourself - the grammar will always be a bit sketchy if you don't have grammatical experts marking your work and making you work harder on bits you just don't get - and there is not a proper structure to what you are learning either - therefore it can be very hard to see how far I have come...

Anyway, he taught me a few random words which I think gave me an idea of pronunciation, tone and (inevitably) norwegian insults and swear words, then one day I got back from work and there waiting for me was the complete book and audio CD programme of 'Teach Yourself Norwegian' - bless him! He realised I was taking this seriously (and was getting fed up of me asking him all the time) so he bought me the book to help me on my way. I have to say it has been a brilliant book, it starts off very basic and the book is structured well, with dialogue, translated words, relelavnt grammar and then excercises at the end of each chapter.

The good thing about teaching yourself if you can do it at your own pace and go over the bits that are harder for you as often as you want.

The bad thing about teavhing youself is also that you can do at your own pace! (meaning sometimes you can be a bit lazy with it) and you also have no-one to push you.

I think that although Hans doesn't teach me as much as I would like (I had this grand idea that he would of course spend an hour a night as my Norwegian tutor - what was I thinking?!) I am lucky that I have someone to listen to me when I speak it and tell me what I am pronoucing wrong and stop any really bad habits forming.

So, all in all - for saying I have taught myself from a book I have come a long way and done really well. I often tell others (especially in Norway) that I speak really basic Norwegian and really badly, and they are usually quick to correct me and say no - we understand what you are saying, or, 'du er flink for å snakker Norsk!' I think honestly though that people are just pleased I am bothering to learn the language - almost every Norwegian has a story of an english person they know who has lived here from 5 to 20 years and still refuses to learn the language! I am determined not to be that person, and I think I am doing ok.

The biggest think is my confidence with speaking it - especially here in Bergen as the dialect is so 'special'. I shall keep it up though! Sometimes after I write an email to a friend on Norwegian or realise I have been chatting with someone for 10 minutes I realise just how far I have come - sure its not grammatically perfect but I am starting to like my own version :-) Hans and I have dubbed it 'Beckywegian'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hei Becky

Jeg heter L-Jay. Jeg liker å leser blogen din.

It's nice to read about someone elses learning experiences with Norwegian - learning Norwegian by yourself is very commendable. I know some people from Bergen and I find them very hard to understand - and living in a student environment can be even harder as everyone has a different dialect. (I live in Tromsø which has a big student population.) I often get 'sceneskrekk' (stage fright) when I have to speak Norwegian...lol. But Norwegians are understanding and encouraging. Family is a big help too.

Thank you for your words (and the link ;)
Hilsen

Anonymous said...

Ak ste majiteľ hotela, alebo iné prax v pohostinstve, a hľadajú nový spôsob správy zdrojov, ktoré ponúka web, nájdete všetko, čo potrebujete na nový ovládací panel Family G: ľahko ovládateľný a prispôsobivý každú potrebu. Je to nevyhnutný nástroj pre všetkých profesionálov, ktorí chcú byť krok s dobou a zvýšenie ich príjmov.

Doska má dve časti: prvá, môžu zákazníci využiť inovatívnych služieb, ako je video príjem, ktorý môže ľahko dostať do kontaktu so zákazníkom prostredníctvom svojich internetových stránkach, alebo vytvoriť a spravovať svoju spoločnosť blog, nové a užitočné nástroje oceňujú google, alebo písať tlačové správy alebo výrobku na trh, ktorý sa FamilyG bude následne Family G zverejnený na webových stránkach alebo požiadať o radu týkajúcu sa vášho vlastníctva. Okrem toho môžete tiež ľahko zmeniť vašu rezerváciu alebo špeciálne ponuky, stránky vášho webu alebo tie jej štruktúry na portáli Family G. Všetky výrobky sú podrobne vysvetlené, takže môžete pristupovať na oblasť len preto, aby informácie.

Druhá časť, horný panel, stačí otvoriť všetkým, zákazníkom a nie, hostinský ponúka rozšíriť svoje vedomosti, a preto ich podnikania, s využitím všetkých prostriedkov, ktoré ponúka web je Family G poznať štatistiky vašich stránok ako hodnosť, ceny kľúčových slov, alebo pre kontrolu medzinárodnej dopravy v špecifických oblastiach a prípadne pripraviť cielené reklamné kampane. svoje produkty na predaj v prvej časti, si zaslúži ďalšie skúmanie. stránku nové ponuky sú:

-otvárať a spravovať ich firemný blog, nové technológie, ktoré možno kombinovať s alebo vymenila svoje miesto a je veľmi užitočné, pretože Google nemá rád viac statické stránky, najmä ak máte záujem získať viac zákazníkov získavať dodatočné zabezpečenie trhov, úzko špecializovaných . Video-riadiť recepcia, FamilyG môžete prijímať video hovory a otázky od zákazníkov priamo od hotela. Video Recepcia pracuje odlišne od všetkých ostatných cestách Peer 2 Peer (Skype, MSN, GoogleTalk). Okrem toho, Family G že nástroj vytvorený pre hoteliéra, má prednostné line komunikácie serverov s garantovanou šírkou pásma je telefónny hovor, video chat a hladko.

-vychovávať tlačové správy o udalostiach (výstavy, koncerty, ochutnávky vín), ktoré sa uskutoční vo Vašom zariadení.

-spravovať stránky svojej štruktúry, ktoré sú umiestnené na portáli rodiny G-spravovať všetok obsah a obrázky z jeho oficiálnej webovej stránky-spravovať osobitné prostredníctvom inovatívnych web marketing, ktorý umožňuje obrátiť sa na konkrétnu cieľovú manage- rezervácie on-line. Pri rezervácii pre-organizovať jeho dostupnosť môže FamilyG byť účinným predajným nástrojom. Family G Napríklad je tu možnosť, vrátane doplnkových služieb, ako je prevod do postele, garáž, múzeum lístky, kvety privítanie, jedlá, atď ... to s jediným ovládacím panelom vám umožní posielať reklamné oznámenie na všetkých trhoch, ktoré vás zaujímajú v danom čase