Saturday 18 October 2008

Kirkenær (East Norway) øst-Norge

Hmm, I have an engligh laptop so I use the shortcuts to put in the extra Norwegian Letters... don't know how to capitalise them...

on my keyboard they're:
æ = alt + 0230
å = alt + 0229
ø = alt + 0248
just in case anyone wondered :)

Had a few pictures from Kirkenær (Hans' home town) from summer - i am just going to upload them. It's so beautiful there, and he's very lucky to have grown up there. As beautiful as Bergen is, with it's dramatic coastline (and even more dramatic weather) I love the eastern part of Norway even more, the colours are absolutely beautiful throughout the year and then in winter with the snow it's even more stunning. There are rolling fields and lakes, rivers and hills too - and especially from what I have seen around Kirkenær itself it's so quiet and peaceful... I guess the scenery is a little more like the countryside in England - particularly the Lake District - so maybe I love it so much because it's a pleasant blend of home and Norway to me. Also I guess I am biased towards Hans' hometown too :)

One of the views from the porch at the front of Han's mothers house


A look back over where we had just walked - it's the end of
Summer and the fields are full and golden



The man himself - we were on the way back from the 'Health Spa/Badelunsj'
at Finnskogtoppen and stopped here for coffee... he tried to no
avail to teach me how to skim stones!



More pictures above and below of one of our walks along the Rive Glåma


This one particularly reminds me of England...
on a short walk very near Hans' Mothers House


I have not seen South Norway or North Norway yet and have heard good things (I am really keen to see the North, I think maybe that would captivate me the most) I REALLY want to see the Northern Lights, I would be so happy to see them. People have told me that they can sometimes be seen here in Bergen, so maybe I'll be lucky - who knows? I am peeling my eyes since I heard that and will be keeping them peeled until Christmas... it would be annoying if the appear over the period I am home for... but when all is said and done I would rather see Hans!

6 comments:

The Bunny Maker said...

i've been ploughing back through your blog to find a post which tells me what the Erasmus Exchange is! can't find it!
Can you point me in the right direction as now I REALLY want to know!

Unknown said...

No problem! I guess that would be a good idea to include in the blog :) I shall write a post about it for information for you and any other people who might be interested - thanks for pointing it out!

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny how Norway gives you a 'déjà vu sense'. Often landscapes remind me of other places. I always get reminded about our trip to Sherwood Forest through rural England (we took the long way through country back roads for extra adventure...lol.) I also get a double take on Edinburgh and the highlands of Victoria (Australia) too.

I must say, it is easier to live in another country when it reminds you of home ;)

Sergey Alyaev said...

Thank you for key codes. Do you know those for capital Norwegian letters?

Unknown said...

I found out!

Æ - alt+0198
Å - alt+0197
Ø - alt+0216

Hope this helps!

Sharon J said...

Strangely enough, through all of the 18 years I lived in Norway it never once reminded me of England and that's actually why I love it so much I think - because it's totally unique. My heart is still there and always will be (my older daughter still lives there, in Bærum) - I was just 19 when I moved over so I guess you could say it's where I really grew up.

Oh, how I miss sitting by a quiet lake, waiting for the trout to bite, with my dog by my side while I just contemplate life.